Guys, we made it. Congratulations! It's spring. It's officially spring, and while the signs may be subtle, they're there. Birds are singing, almost all the snow has melted, the light's different, and the sun is setting just shy of 7pm. It's magical. I wanted a big dose of color to usher in the season, so I took a tonal approach, using a pair of dark cords to keep the sea green silk grounded in reality.
I really didn't have anywhere special to be tonight, but lucky timing meant that the tomboy was home in time to hop in the car and drop the petite off at a sleepover, so we picked up a gift for a birthday party tomorrow, a little treat for yours truly, and got to unwind from the week with a nice, relaxing dinner together. See, you never know when you're going to need to be dressed, so you might as well be well-dressed!
My 55mm didn't arrive until Wednesday night, and I've been tinkering with it ever since, but even this first hasty attempt at FFAF-worthy photos with a new camera, new lens and a new timer came out surprisingly well despite my learning curve. It is the most insanely wonderful piece of glass I have ever handled, let alone owned, and I'm incredibly excited about the places it'll take me.
Super huge thanks to The Phoblographer, who were so responsive and knowledgeable and friendly; they run a truly great site! (They also have a pretty excellent giveaway right now, check it out and enter here - you can win a Sony A7, like I've got, or comparable models from Olympus or Fujifilm.) Snapsort can be really useful, too, if you're in the market for a new camera or lens.
In non-geeky updates, the ground should be thawed enough to get back in the saddle next week, at long last, so I'm back in barre classes and will probably tie on the trainers to get myself (and those horses) in some semblance of riding shape again. Maybe I'll even get the hang of lunging those beasts (it is harder than it looks). I can't wait for my first spring hack in the woods! All alone, birds singing, sun shining, flora lush and new again.
That's it - such a simple, comfortable outfit! Here are some random bits and nuggets in case you need additional reading material over the weekend:
- Anita of DapperQ wanted to know how to stay chic on New Mexico hikes, so I got my zombie-fighting gal pals to help at Qwear
- The amazing team at The Representation Project is #notbuyingit and hitting that pig Terry Richardson where it hurts - please join them!
- Have you heard of the movie Dear White People? It looks amazing and is currently screening at MoMA in NYC. Related.
- We also can't wait to take the petite to see the new Cesar Chavez biopic next week - another great film to see!
- The closer we get to Camp Autostraddle, the more amazing I can tell it's going to be - who's coming?
- Girl Canon is your new favorite Tumblr, and the place to go for your next literary adventure
- I can't stop listening to this new album from Liars
Be back soon! Have a wonderful first weekend of spring! CHIRP CHIRP!