My backhand is clearly my forte.
Hi! Criminy, these photos are from MAY. I never got around to posting them. They're pre-UK, pre-hair painting, pre-surfing lessons. I guess you can say they kind of represent the beginning of summer. This isn't my real tennis outfit. My real tennis outfit consisted of a wee black tennis skirt and a bloody Gossip t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. You see, I don't normally play tennis in a fancy Marc Jacobs dress and heels - I know that might be shocking news, but it's true. We were just having some fun.
Let's do lists! Here are the top 5 albums I listened to this summer:
- Beirut - The Rip Tide
- Wild Flag - Wild Flag
- Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See
- The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh
- Camera Obscura - Underachievers Please Try Harder (an oldie but summer-lovin' goodie)
Honorable mention to Adele's 21, which took awhile to grow on me.
Let's see, what else can we make lists about? Hm...okay, how about latest beauty obsessions? Ooh, femme stuff.
- Dr. Jart Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25 PA. Believe the hype, kittens. This shit is glowy as fuck! I love it.
- Heat-free curls. Watch and learn. (Also, practice makes perfect.)
- OCC lip tar. Cheap and made of gay fairy m a g i c.
- Guerlain's Meteorite Pearls. Um, maybe I have these in every shade. You know how sometimes you just need to splurge your face off on something completely unnecessary and indulgent and pretty? THIS.
- Incoco Design Manicures. Move over, Sally Hansen, these folks have one called FEMME FATALE.
Last five books I've read this summer:
- Light Boxes by Shane Jones. Short but truly boundless with gorgeous imagery, compared to Richard Brautigan's In Watermelon Sugar (1968).
- Dusk & Other Stories by James Salter. I adore Salter’s way with a sentence. It's impossible not to submit to them.
- Light Years by James Salter. The first half of this was exquisite, I thought, but the latter half drained me of my will to breathe. If nothing else, you'll never look at another cream-oatmeal-wheat colored sweater the same way. I'm looking forward to picking up the notoriously filthy A Sport and a Pastime ASAP.
- A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. I hated this. M hated it so much she refused to finish it. I think I would have hated it anyway, but reading Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart (which I also mostly loathed - a shame because it so intrigued me sitting on a Powell's stack in Portland last summer, and a very helpful lesbian at Pendragon in Oakland went to a lot of trouble to find it for me earlier this year) immediately before picking this up surely didn't help. The fact that this is a short story pile-up of some previously published work made it really easy for me to dismiss this. (Thanks for that tip, Swampwalker!)
- Sub Rosa by Amber Dawn. In retrospect, my initial thoughts on this book were overly harsh. The subject matter is unorthodox enough on its own, but the world she creates for her characters is even more so, and the juxtaposition of the two makes it a very special, raw, modern day Grimm's fairy tale.
Next five books on my list :
- The Old Romantic by Louise Dean. So far it's very mean and very delightful.
- Squirrel Meets Chipmunk by David Sedaris. Twee little illustrations, vulgar as all get-out.
- Anthropology Of An American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann. Self-published coming-of-age novel and love story.
- The London Train by Tessa Hadley. British fiction. Not sure what to expect!
- If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You by Kelly Cutrone. Bit of a departure, but came highly recommended by my femme posse.
That's it for now, y'all. Anyone who wants to know, as I said it's a Marc Jacobs dress, a pair of fun little Not Rated shoes that scream pin-up, and a vintage Fred Perry racket. The white shades are Elle, I cut up these red ribbons for my hair from a box of chocolates, and I can't recall where the earrings are from (and it's REALLY going to bother me).
PS. Check out my new Tumblr - it's friendly and a repository of all the eye candy I want to post here, but don't: http://fitforafemme.tumblr.com/